[Users] Users Digest, Vol 110, Issue 47

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 12:30:06 CET 2020

Hey there,

Paul wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:

>> >Setting the enable_default_account to 0 in folderitemrc
>> >is /unsetting/ a default account for that folder.

>> Exactly.

>Yes, confused. You say 'Exactly', but unsetting the default account
>for the folder is what I suggested, not what you suggested.

I'm happy for you that you contributed your suggestion, but my
replies to this portion of the thread with the current title are in
response to this message:

https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2020-October/027228.html

If you read it carefully, Francois followed the steps I had
suggested. The steps worked. He then examined the changes in his
file system and found that 'the behavior is apparently driven by the
parameter named "enable_default_account" in the "folderitemrc" file'.

Note that I don't see the same change to the same file on my system.
In fact, that file doesn't change on my system when I follow the
steps I suggested. I didn't mention that, however, since you were
already having some confusion with the information that had been
presented and since I'm not using the most recent copy of Claws Mail,
so it's possible its structure has changed.

Either way, Francois and I followed the steps at the bottom of that
message and now have the desired behavior, so we're both happy with
the result regardless of how Claws Mail is managing to do it.

>> The default behavior of Claws Mail is such that there will
>> be a default account whether we choose it or not.

>The option cited above, enable_default_account in folderitemrc, is
>the option that sets a default account for a folder and not a
>general default account.

Okay, great. Then the change to that file is likely an unrelated
coincidence rather than the result of following the steps that I had
suggested. That explains why I don't see that file changing when I
follow the steps.

>> The default account insists on being used for all replies, which
>> is what we don't want. We want to use the "To:" part of the
>> message we're replying to to determine the "From:" address we're
>> replying to it with.

>No, that is not the case.

It was the case for dragony and Francois and me. That's why we've
been having these discussions.

>By default the general default account is the fallback account if no
>other accounts can be automatically selected according to those
>option you later cite, the "Automatic account selection" options,
>which, by the way, are all turned on by default.

Those "Automatic account selection" settings were not all on by
default for me and must not have been on by default for dragony or
Francois, either.

>> No matter how the account has been chosen, the default account
>> will be used for all replies unless we intervene.

>Not true, the "Automatic account selection" options are turned on by
>default.

They were all unchecked in my copy. As a result, regardless of which
method was used for determining the default account, the default
account was used for all replies unless I intervened. Apparently the
same was true for dragony and Francois.

>> You had suggested a template approach,

>No, I didn't. That was a completely different thread in which,
>although trivially similar, the query was not about the same
>situation.

Yes, I had pointed out that we had recently had a similar discussion:

https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2020-October/027223.html

I then mentioned your contribution to that thread in a later post.

Also, it's actually the same issue and not completely different at
all. See the OP's message in the other thread here:

https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2020-October/027022.html

Then see the OP's message in the current thread for comparison:

https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2020-October/027221.html

I think we can agree that they both want the same thing and it
happened to be what I wanted as well.

>> What I found was that these steps override the Claws Mail default
>> account behavior and cause Claws Mail to reply to each message with
>> the account that it's addressed to rather than the default
>> account:

>As I say, all of these are enabled by default.

Yes, and Francois and I (and probably dragony, too), however, needed
to have them disabled, or at least automatically overridden on a
per-reply basis, by following the steps I had suggested.

>So, confused? Yes, confused.

Paul, both Francois and I (and hopefully dragony, too) are satisfied
with the solution and our emails are now being automatically
addressed the way we'd like them to be. You've singled me out
repeatedly in this rather rude way. Please try, instead, to find a
way to be happy that Francois and I (and possibly dragony) have found
a simple solution that was available within the Claws Mail settings
and that all is well.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.