[Users] Users Digest, Vol 110, Issue 47

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Sat Oct 24 18:21:13 CEST 2020

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 09:16:20 -0400
Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> >What a confused thread!
>
> I'm sorry about that, but I don't understand why. It seems to make
> perfect sense.
>
> >Setting the enable_default_account to 0 in folderitemrc
> >is /unsetting/ a default account for that folder.
>
> Exactly.

Yes, confused. You say 'Exactly', but unsetting the default account for the
folder is what I suggested, not what you suggested.

> The default behavior of Claws Mail is such that there will
> be a default account whether we choose it or not.

The option cited above, enable_default_account in folderitemrc, is the option
that sets a default account for a folder and not a general default account.

> The default account insists on being used for all replies, which is what we
> don't want. We want to use the "To:" part of the message we're replying to
> to determine the "From:" address we're replying to it with.

No, that is not the case. By default the general default account is the
fallback account if no other accounts can be automatically selected according
to those option you later cite, the "Automatic account selection" options,
which, by the way, are all turned on by default.

> No matter how the account has been chosen, the default account will be
> used for all replies unless we intervene.

Not true, the "Automatic account selection" options are turned on by default.

> You had suggested a template approach,

No, I didn't. That was a completely different thread in which, although
trivially similar, the query was not about the same situation.

> What I found was that these steps override the Claws Mail default
> account behavior and cause Claws Mail to reply to each message with
> the account that it's addressed to rather than the default account:

As I say, all of these are enabled by default.

So, confused? Yes, confused.

with regards

Paul