[Users] Claws-Mail configuration problems following upgrade to Mint 21.3

Keith Bainbridge keith.bainbridge.3216 at mail.com
Fri Mar 29 07:41:05 CET 2024

On 27/3/24 09:51, Bret Busby wrote:

> So, I am wondering how you have Claws Mail 4.1.1 on Linux Mint 21.3; a
> later version than I have on my updated system.

I run LMDE 6 - effectively Debian 12, with cinnamon, tbird, ffox and
chromium provided from mint repos.

I have Claws 4.1.1 from debian; and tbird 115.9 installed from mint's
repos, although I use tbird 125 (about to update to v126 from it's daily
version)

My sources list:

deb https://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/linuxmint-packages faye main
upstream import backport

deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian bookworm main contrib non-free
non-free-firmware
deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian bookworm-updates main contrib
non-free non-free-firmware
deb http://security.debian.org/ bookworm-security main contrib non-free
non-free-firmware

deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian bookworm-backports main contrib
non-free non-free-firmware

Not sure why mint buntu isn't supplying claws 4.1.1; unless it's only in
the mint 23 repo

So why LMDE?    I read a while ago that Ubuntu is planning to stop
people like Mint from forking ubuntu.   May not happen, but then they
say they don't prefer snaps to .deb; and that isn't obvious in their
other publicity.  And who was it installed a snap when I 'apt install
chromium' a couple of years ago?  Mint worked hard to get around this,
but we should expect to get what we ask for when we install software -
not what some organisation THINKS we mean.   End rave.

--
All the best

Keith Bainbridge

keithrbau at gmail.com