[Users] Rules

Brad Rogers brad at fineby.me.uk
Sat Jan 27 15:57:54 UTC 2024

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:55:36 -0600
"c. marlow" <cwm030 at fastmail.us> wrote:

Hello c.,

>Which one do I use for everyday filtering? PRE, POST, FOLDER? or Any of
>the three?

The answer, as is often the case, is;  "It depends"

Use Pre-processing for stuff you want to happen when you enter a folder.
(Including, but not limited to; marking messages for certain senders,
ignoring threads you have no interest in reading, etc.)

Use Post-processing for stuff you want to happen on leaving a folder
(Including, but not limited to; Moving read mails from certain senders
to another folder, etc.)

Some of the above can also be performed in general Folder Processing
rules.
(Including, but not limited to; ignore thread, etc.)

Filtering is generally for sorting/marking incoming mail.

--
 Regards  _       "Valid sig separator is {dash}{dash}{space}"
         / )      "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"