[Users] New color of selected mail and folder on list panes

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 09:52:49 UTC 2023

On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:21:34 +0100
Adrian via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> A simple question, but one that I can't find an answer to in the
> manual or the user-contributed FAQ so it might be mising or not in an
> obvious place.

DM: Hi, Adrian. Probably the best place to look for this is in the
message archives for this list here:
https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/ (I understand there are
ways to search these archives, either with web browsers that have that
functionality, or by downloading them to your system and doing a text
search that way.)

DM: What you're seeing is very likely the result of moving from GTK2
Claws to GTK3 Claws, and this is something that has come up multiple
times on this list since the official GTK3 Claws releases (so in the
last 1-3 years?). From memory, here is a summary of the main points
(from past messages on this list) that may be helpful for you:

* 1. This is not perceived to be a Claws issue by the developers.

* 2. Some people have resolved this to their satisfaction by using a
  different GTK3 theme.

* 3. Some people have resolved this by editing the relevant GTK3 CSS
  config files, either system-wide or for the particular theme they
  were using, don't remember the exact details. (There are multiple
  messages that provide sample entries [including some that are
  Claws-specific] for either editing or adding as desired.)

* 4. If you're using Linux, there is a developer's testing feature
  that can be added to the exec command that starts Claws, which will
  apply the specified theme only to Claws as opposed to the whole
  system. (My understanding is that this isn't really 'best practice'
  [i.e. not tested for this type of usage], so a bit of a 'hack', but I
  think some have found it at least temporarily helpful if they found
  a theme that worked well for Claws, but 'broke' one or more other
  programs.) (Obviously, it could also be useful for testing various
  themes to see how they affect Claws' appearance.)

DM: No easy answers since I haven't gone past point #2 myself, but that
should get you started on finding a solution that works okay for you.
How much legwork you have left to do will depend on your level of
familiarity with your system, GTK3, CSS, etc. 🙂️ HTH, ---Dustin