[Users] How to change column widths

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Sep 21 06:38:55 UTC 2023

On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:17:59 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> dijo:

>I dragged the window to an appropriate size, but fixing the column
>widths is driving me nuts. In the left panel I have columns for folder,
>new, unread, and total. I can drag the widths for the first three, but
>the total column is 3-4cm wide, and there is no way to change it. In
>the message pane I have a similar problem, where the rightmost column
>is way too big, but I can't change it.

I solved the problem. When I started with the new OS the Settings
utility had an option to double everything, useful for people like me
with 4K monitors, so I selected it. At first everything seemed fine,
but when I installed Claws Mail I had already copied and pasted the
Mail and .claws-mail folders from the old OS, and when I launched Claws
mail the window was huge. You see, on the old OS I had no 2x option, so
with every app I just reconfigured everything with huge fonts but normal
windows. With 2x on the new OS everything in Claws Mail was way too big.
I started trying to readjust everything, but in the process the column
sizes got out of control, and I couldn't fix them, hence my post here.

In the end I turned off the 2x feature, replaced the .claws-mail folder
with the original from the old computer, then launched Claws Mail
again. This time the window, fonts, and column dimensions were back the
way they had been in the old OS.

Just have one additional comment, but for the developers: Moving and
setting the column dimensions needs work. An option where the user can
specify the column widths by entering numbers in a popup window would
work far better and more accurately than trying to drag things with the
mouse.