[Users] claws-mail impap-error Port 993 tls on Macos

David Fletcher David at megapico.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 09:57:32 UTC 2023

> s/This could be an Apple library fault/This is an Apple library fault/g

Although valgrind is not available for the Mac Arm 64 (apple silicon)
platform I found an alternative - "leaks" which is installed by
default on MacOS.

Running Claws with this has generated a lot of new information - more
than I can check right now. But the attached output captures what was
generated. It found lots of memory leaks, and also brought to my
attention that Claws is sitting at about 5GB of memory usage immediately
after starting up. This of course is not normal!

A very quick look at the log suggests that the underlying GTK libraries
might be where many of the problems originate. Hopefully the log file
reaches the list ok - it's over 2MB in size uncompressed as there's so
many memory allocation issues listed.

Despite all the memory issues Claws does function once it's running and
after managing to connect to the server. But if this is happening to
others and not some issue with my installation then it's not ready for
the average user on a recent Arm based Mac.

David.