[Users] claws-mail impap-error Port 993 tls on Macos

David Fletcher David at megapico.co.uk
Mon Nov 27 22:53:22 UTC 2023

>My problem is still receiving e-mail via imaps/993. Sending e-mail via
>port 587 works!
>Still this error message:
>* Account 'Briefhansa': Connect to IMAP-Server:
>mail.briefhansa.de:993...
>*** TLS handshake failed
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Greetings Steffe

Hi Steffe,

I have been looking further into this, looking back at my notes for
installing Claws on Intel Mac (dated May 2020). I found I'd saved the
following notes:

- Don't use brew install libetpan - it installs a broken version
- Use libetpan-1.9.4 - need to avoid OpenSSL being picked up from the Mac
system files
- Install manually with ./configure --with-gnutls --without-openssl

So if you've used brew to install libetpan it may have defaulted to
OpenSSL and won't start TLS connections. This may not be detected by
Claws configure since it will see that libetpan exists and not this
detail under the bonnet.

Possible solution : brew remove libetpan --ignore-dependencies

This will avoid removing things that depend on libetpan since you will
add it back manually. There's an error logged about this but no sign
it's ever been fixed:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/issues/54182

I don't recall these issues on my recent Apple Silicon install of Claws,
but I might have installed libetpan manually without thinking about it -
I can't remember.

Best wishes, David