[Users] Colors

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Thu May 11 11:39:03 UTC 2023

On Thu, 11 May 2023 05:53:49 -0400
"Gerard E. Seibert" <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 May 2023 07:43:17 +0600, Dustin Miller stated:
> > On Wed, 10 May 2023 14:42:50 -0400
> > "Gerard E. Seibert" <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, 10 May 2023 09:14:29 -0000, Paul stated:

> > > Paul, I am not sure if I am explaining this correctly, or am
> > > misunderstanding you.
> > >
> > > When I start claws-mail, the entire desktop is a dark gray color
> > > with white lettering. I want it to be a white background with
> > > black lettering. I have attached a screen shot of what I am
> > > looking at. It is also available here:
> > > https://seibercom.net/Snapshot_Claws-Mail.png
> >
> > DM: Hi, Jerry. I'm reasonably certain Paul understood what your
> > issue is, and that you perhaps haven't understood his advice /
> > guidance. My understanding is that what you're facing is not a
> > Claws Mail issue, but rather a GTK3 / theme issue. If you check out
> > the archived list message he linked to as well as multiple other
> > ones in the archives, you should be able to get ideas for how you
> > can resolve the problem according to your wishes. Some have chosen
> > to just switch themes; some have chosen to do manual edits to the
> > gtk.css file that Paul mentioned. HTH, ---Dustin
>
> That seems to be where I am having a problem. I have tried a half
> dozen different themes; however, they only change the ICON designs,
> not the physical page background and default text color. I guess I'll
> just have to keep playing around with it until I get it all squared
> away.

DM: Hi, Jerry. Paul already addressed this with his post, but from what
you're saying, it sounds like you may be only working with Claws Mail
'themes'. Once again, I'm pretty sure the issue you're facing is NOT a
Claw Mail issue. :) So what you're looking for are overall system
themes, and specifically those that will control GTK3 programs to your
liking. If you look through your system settings, you may find that
there are already other themes available that you can try out, and/or a
handy system for finding / downloading / installing additional themes.
Because these are system themes, then any changes you make may also
alter the appearance of your other programs, perhaps in ways you don't
want. If that happens, you'll need to decide whether there's a
compromise you can live with or whether you want to put the time and
effort into figuring out how to change appearances on a
program-specific basis. Hope that helps, ---Dustin