[Users] Color choices affected by non-standard quote characters

Viatrix viatrix at purelymail.com
Sun Mar 26 21:10:17 UTC 2023

On 2023-03-26T12:57:39-0400
Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Your example displays the same way for me, possibly because your
> lines are much longer than usual or possibly because we both use
> Claws Mail. No idea. I'm attaching a screenshot of how those look at
> my end.
As far as I can tell from your screenshots, our copies of Claws are
behaving identically to each other regarding displaying quote marks.
However, if our copies are behaving identically, then you are
misunderstanding how Claws handles displaying quotes.

My copy of Claws *never adds or removes quote markers* when displaying
plaintext. (I specify plaintext because HTML is handled differently.)
It displays a plaintext line as a quote if and only if that line begins
with a quote marker (regardless of if the quote marker is ">" or "AB>"
etc).

You can check the actual locations of the quote markers in a plaintext
message using right-click → View → "Message source". If the message
source has quote markers where the message view doesn't, or vice versa,
*then* our copies of Claws are behaving differently.

> It's possible that, in those cases, the sender's settings aren't
> properly Inserting the quote marks, so when you receive quoted text
> from them, it's already broken.
This is correct (at least in my cases); incorrectly formatted quotes
are the fault of the *sender*. To my knowledge, Claws unfortunately has
no easy fix to this, beyond asking the sender to change their quote
formatting.

--
Viatrix she|they https://viatrix.is-hella.gay