[Users] Color choices affected by non-standard quote characters

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 16:57:39 UTC 2023

Hey there,

Viatrix via Users wrote:

>Do you mean when a line is wider than the display area's width,
>making Claws visually wrap it into multiple lines when displaying it?

No. I mean when the text in the line is wrapped because the line
isn't finished within the span of the wrap setting used by the sender
(whether that's you or the person who sent you a message) regardless
of the display-area's width.

In Claws Mail, that setting is to be found as the number of
characters specified here:

Configuration --> Preferences... --> Compose --> Wrapping

Other mail programs either have a default or offer some sort of
configuration for the users to choose.

>Both display identically for me, shown in the attached screenshot.

Your example displays the same way for me, possibly because your
lines are much longer than usual or possibly because we both use
Claws Mail. No idea. I'm attaching a screenshot of how those look at
my end.

Interestingly, although both of us are seeing correct colorization
in that example, the quote marks are still misbehaving for both of us.
Any time I have ever received a properly-formatted multi-line piece
of quoted text (which is most of the time), each line has the quote
mark at the beginning of it. As a result, I would expect that all
four of the quoted lines in both of our examples should each have
quote marks in front of them, but only two of them do in each case.
Something unexpected is occurring.

The two screenshots I attached earlier fall over both in handling the
quote marks and in handling the colorization. I wrote one and
received another. I've got several other examples, but can't share
them because they contain sensitive information.

This seems to be inconsistent behavior that I'm hoping can be sorted
out, but it occurs to me that it may end up being too much to ask
when handling received mail. It's possible that, in those cases, the
sender's settings aren't properly Inserting the quote marks, so when
you receive quoted text from them, it's already broken. It may not be
possible to ask Claws Mail to detect and correct such errors.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.