[Users] Claws-Mail on a M1 Mac

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 21:18:50 UTC 2023

On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 2:17 PM Jim Pachowski <jimmy.patch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get Claws-Mail running on my M1 Mac. Has anybody had
> any success with it? Please help if you have any insights on this.
>
> When I searched about it, I realised I had three options:
> 1. MacPorts - old version
> 2. HomeBrew - 3.19.0 (sort of old) but no Fancy plugin
> 3. HomeBrew to get libraries, etc. and self-compile
>
> Since #1 and #2 got pushed out, I thought it would be easy to get
> sources and just compile. No. I ran into problems that I do not
> understand. "make" exits with

>   "_SecCertificateCopyData", referenced from:
>       _mailstream_low_cfstream_get_certificate_chain in
> libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)

In the long run, I think a modified option (1) is the better option.

MacPorts does a good job of supporting software on many Apple
platforms. MacPorts will include support for multiple architectures,
like i386, x86_64, aarch64 and even PowerPC in some instances. The
trick with MacPorts is, you need to get on the macport-users mailing
list, generate some interest, and file a bug report.

If you want the "last few releases of the OS" option, then use
HomeBrew. HomeBrew follows the abandonware model of development
popularized by web browsers. HomeBrew will abandon past stuff in about
6 months to a year. HomeBrew also has a custom filesystem layout. They
don't follow Unix & Linux standard layout. I find it is a pain in the
ass to compile and link programs using HomeBrew components.

Jeff