[Users] Claws-Mail on a M1 Mac

Jim Pachowski jimmy.patch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 21:50:34 UTC 2023

On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 2:36 AM Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 2:17 PM Jim Pachowski <jimmy.patch at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to get Claws-Mail running on my M1 Mac. Has anybody had
> > any success with it? Please help if you have any insights on this.
> >
> > When I searched about it, I realised I had three options:
> > 1. MacPorts - old version
> > 2. HomeBrew - 3.19.0 (sort of old) but no Fancy plugin
> > 3. HomeBrew to get libraries, etc. and self-compile
> >
> > Since #1 and #2 got pushed out, I thought it would be easy to get
> > sources and just compile. No. I ran into problems that I do not
> > understand. "make" exits with
> >
> > Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
> >   "_SecCertificateCopyData", referenced from:
> >       _mailstream_low_cfstream_get_certificate_chain in
> > libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)
> >   "_SecTrustEvaluate", referenced from:
> >       _mailstream_cfstream_set_ssl_enabled in libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)
> >       _mailstream_low_cfstream_get_certificate_chain in
> > libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)
> >   "_SecTrustGetCertificateAtIndex", referenced from:
> >       _mailstream_low_cfstream_get_certificate_chain in
> > libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)
> >   "_SecTrustGetCertificateCount", referenced from:
> >       _mailstream_cfstream_set_ssl_enabled in libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)
> >       _mailstream_low_cfstream_get_certificate_chain in
> > libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)
> > ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
> > clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
> >
> > If you have any insights/guides/info to help getting CM working on my
> > Mac, please let me know.
>
> M1's are aarch64. You should [probably] not have references to x86_64.
>
> It looks like some library is built using the wrong architecture. Or
> maybe, they are fat libraries missing an architecture. You can use
> lipo to see which architectures are provided by a library. Post the
> result of:
>
>    lipo -info libetpan.a

% lipo -info libetpan.a
fatal error: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/lipo: can't
open input file: libetpan.a (No such file or directory)

I tried --disable-libetpan flag and it shut me down later with
x11/tomboykeybinder.c:9:10: fatal error: 'gdk/gdkx.h' file not found
#include <gdk/gdkx.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.

That was in the notification plugin. So I disabled it. Same missing
file in a couple of others, all disabled.

At the moment, I believe I have managed to compile Claws-Mail with the
following:
./autogen.sh --disable-libetpan --disable-archive-plugin
--disable-dillo-plugin --disable-notification-plugin
--disable-pdf_viewer-plugin

Missing dependencies cause 7 to be disabled:
1. fancy
2. gdata
3. litehtml_viewer
4. perl
5. python
6. tnef_parse
7. vcalendar

I only need fancy from these to be functional to be honest. And I
cannot figure out how to fix:
WARNING: "Plugin fancy will not be built; missing libwebkit-1.0 "

-jp