[Users] Upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 and now cannot start claws-mail.

Brad Rogers brad at fineby.me.uk
Fri Sep 30 10:41:47 CEST 2022

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 11:59:31 +1300
Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

Hello Rolf,

>There is no "claws-mail.desktop" in my ~/.local/share/applications.
>Could this be the source of my problem?

Unlikely.  I forgot that I added that .desktop file myself, to ensure
that my preferred theme is used.  Sorry for the misinformation.  Totally
my fault.  Since there's nothing in ~/.l/s/a/ (shorthand)
/usr/local/share/applications/claws-mail.desktop is (or should be, if it
exists) read.

>How would I get a "claws-mail.desktop" into my
>~/.local/share/applications ?

Modify the one from /usr/share/local/applications/ mentioned above.
However, you don't *need* that userland .desktop file, if you're happy
with the default look'n'feel.

What DE are you using?  I don't recall seeing it mentioned.  I could
assume Gnome, as you're using Ubuntu.  Assuming is generally a bad idea,
though.

I'm losing track a little bit, but it may be that your upgrade wasn't as
successful as it appears.  Look for 'held' packages - in particular,
anything with gdk-pixbuf in the name.  Also, try to determine the
reason why they're held (can't satisfy dependencies, for example).

This is largely speculation on my part, BTW.

To answer questions from another of your messages:

gdk-pixbuf is responsible for the loading/saving of images, amongst a
couple of other things.

GTK is a tool suite used to build applications.  CM uses GTK, other
app's may use different tools.  They are used to make the UI; buttons,
windows, requesters, dialogs, you name it.....

Of course, you don't need to understand the complexities of GTK just to
use an app, in much the same way you don't need to understand how an
internal combustion engine (or electric motor) works to drive a car.

--
 Regards  _
         / )      "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"