[Users] Upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 and now cannot start claws-mail.

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Sep 29 17:46:50 CEST 2022

On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 18:13:25 +1300
Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> I *really* don't understand this; as far as I can make out, clicking
> on the icon simply invokes the command "claws-mail %u".  (See the
> attached screenshot "launcherProperties.png".)  So why should the one
> thing work when the other doesn't?

My first guess would be that you have two copies of claws-mail
installed somehow and that the icon is launching one of them, whereas
the command line is trying to launch the other. You can ask the
command-line which it is trying to run with the command "which", such
as:

mjr at bletchley:~$ which claws-mail
/usr/bin/claws-mail

If that isn't /usr/bin/claws-mail then it's not using the packaged
version and you can start to investigate why (probably something
earlier in your command-line search PATH which isn't in the main
session PATH, possibly set by a .profile, .bash_profile or .bashrc
script file).

If it is, and the file mentioned by Brad (or its equivalent on your
desktop) also points to that, then I'd try his suggestion of a different
GTK theme being applied to command-line programs. Can you launch gedit
or mousepad from the command line OK? From the menus or icons?

Hope that helps,
--

MJR http://mjr.towers.org.uk/
Member of http://www.software.coop/ (but this email is my personal view