[Users] Font setting for Latin + 2 other scripts: Solved

Stéphane Aubry stephaneaubry at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 15 15:45:44 UTC 2022

Hello guys,
Thank you for your support.
I sum up what I did:
1. I installed the language packages in Windows, and enable beta UTF-8
for programs which do not support Unicode (please, don’t laugh!). That
  did not solve my issue.
2. I installed a few Noto fonts from Debian website. "package" seems to
be a way to distribute piece of software. It does not mean that the font
  files are merged together. That did not solve my issue.
3. I studied a bit why I could not find on the web a Thai + Japanese
font to download: There is a hard limit of 64K glyph inside a font
file, and Chinese-based scripts reaches this limit.
4. I installed Unifont font. This almost solved the problem... except
for some Thai characters with 2 levels of diacritics on top.
You can have a look at this page to understand what I mean:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/thai-font-issues-accent-marks/td-p/10328444
5.  I discovered the "Font linking" mechanism on Windows.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/globalization/input/font-technology
I tried to apply this article by tweaking the Windows registry. I did
not succeed. My conclusion is that my Windows system does not work as
described in this article.
6. I realized that, in Claws Mail / Preferences / Font, I could edit the
text to preview. I input a mix of French, Japanese and Thai there and
browsed the available font families one by one. "Segoe UI" was legible
in the 3 scripts, so I selected "Segoe UI". (I don’t know what are the
used Japanese and Thai fonts, but I don’t care.)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CTTByPb4HvJJ033MlYegoN0CDxl1BZsB/view?usp=sharing
So, my issue is solved.

Best Regards,
Stephane