[Users] How to configure for Yahoo mail

Pierre A. pa.news at free.fr
Tue Nov 22 10:56:19 CET 2022

> https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN15241.html
> The above pages have instructions on setting up an app password with
> Yahoo and AOL, as well as how to revoke one, if necessary.
>
> Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, requesting an app password in Yahoo Mail (following the above link) fails with the error message "sorry this feature is not available right now".
It also failed two days ago.

OAuth2 is another possibility
https://developer.yahoo.com/oauth2/guide/

and indeed OAuth2 appears in the Claws mail network log (see my previous message).

Hence I suppose that app password has been abandoned.

Yet I can't make OAuth2 work either.

From Yahoo I have obtained automatically

App ID
4wPbZRO1
(one character altered, for security)

Client ID (Consumer key)
dj0yJmk9a0doTDVCSjdZQ29nJmQ9WVdrOU5IZFFZVnBTVHpFbWNHbzlNQT09JnM8Y29uc3VtZXJzZWNyZX
(one character altered, for security)

I have entered

Aplication Name
Claws mail

Description
Email client

Homepage URL
https://www.claws-mail.org/

Redirect URI(s)
https://www.claws-mail.org/

OAuth Client Type
Public Client

API Permissions
OpenID Connect Permissions
Email

Then I fill OAuth2 panel in Claws mail account settings.

For Client ID I use Yahoo Client ID

For Client secret I leave empty
(as suggested by
https://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Oauth2#Step_4:_Configure_OAuth2_in_Claws_Mail
)

When I click "Open default browser with request" I get this error from Yahoo:

"
Uh oh
Looks like something went wrong.
Please try again later.
"

Where I should use Yahoo App ID?

In Yahoo output I read:
"You can use Client ID and Client Secret to access Yahoo APIs protected by OAuth."

What is Client Secret if not empty?

Comparing with Google Mail OAuth2 which works for me,
I see that Google Mail Client Secret is not empty.

I have two Google Mail accounts.
They have different Client ID and Client Secret so these data are not proper to client but proper to account.  This is inconsistent.

I don't remember how I obtained Client ID and Client Secret for Google Mail.
I could find it by adding a third Google Mail account.

Have a nice day.