[Users] How to configure for Yahoo mail

Norwid Behrnd nbehrnd at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 12:11:31 CET 2022

"Pierre A." <pa.news at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I cannot use Claws mail with Yahoo IMAP.
>
> Can somebody who uses Yahoo mail compare his settings with mine?

@Pierre

The setup I use right now is Linux Debian 12/bookworm (branch «testing»),
claws-mail 4.1.0 as provided by Debian.  The differences spot are:

> user ID  me at yahoo.com

non, it is only «me», exclude everything past and including the @/arobase
character.

> password thewebmailpassword

Potential pitfall : either you opt-in for the later OAuth2 (the
then visible pulldown-menu has an entry dedicated to Yahoo), or you «pair» the
local instance of CM with yahoo and use a password /specific to this instance
of CM/ (then different to the one you can use to access the mails via a web
browser).  This reflects the introduction of the 2-factor-authentication .and.
changing policies if CM is considered as «safe enough» by the mail providers.
Don't forget that the second approach (password specific to CM instance) puts
you in charge to change it from time to time.

> TLS
> IMAP use
> SMTP use
> Automatically accept
additional point here: use non-blocking TLS

The other parameters look fine.

Regards,

Norwid