[Users] secure email providers

Charles Lane lane at duphy4.physics.drexel.edu
Tue Mar 29 16:51:49 UTC 2022

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:57:50 +0200
> in a recent time there were several threads rleated to
> Gmail-security, OAuth2 etc. and, personally, I want to minimize my
> usage of Gmail just for the needs in regard to Androidp phone. This
> is how I've become a bit involved looking at several "secure email
> providers".

Two related, but separate, email security issues: the security
of your *stored* email, and the security of your *transmitted*
email.

I don't trust google, or microsoft, or really anyone other than
myself to store my email. So I run a copy of the Dovecot IMAP
server on my laptop, and have Clawsmail connect to that
"internal" IMAP.

One thing I've recently started doing is making use of the
"free with existing domain registration" email from Gandi.net.
(they say either 2 [or 5?] free mailboxes with storage per domain)
I suspect other registrars offer similar capabilities.

Access by POP or IMAP with SSL, so secure
in transit,  using "getmail" to immediately transfer incoming email OFF
of Gandi to my own computer. So the amount of storage used is
essentially zero. I don't have any control over SSL for external
email coming in or out of Gandi, but I think SSL is very common
now.  Beyond that, you need end-to-end encryption to recipients,
which isn't really an issue for how you send/receive email, but
how it's handled in the clients.
--
Drexel University  |/             /    ·   ν ·   Chuck Lane   |D