[Users] secure email providers

Saša Janiška gour at atmarama.com
Wed Mar 30 05:35:43 UTC 2022

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:51:49 -0400
Charles Lane <lane at duphy4.physics.drexel.edu> wrote:

> I don't trust google, or microsoft, or really anyone other than
> myself to store my email.

Same here -that's why those "secure" email providers are not an option for me.

> So I run a copy of the Dovecot IMAP server on my laptop, and have Clawsmail
> connect to that "internal" IMAP.

I used to do that when I was using Gnus for some time...Do you use SSL or no need?

> One thing I've recently started doing is making use of the
> "free with existing domain registration" email from Gandi.net.
> (they say either 2 [or 5?] free mailboxes with storage per domain)
> I suspect other registrars offer similar capabilities.

I do use my own domain for web hosting and provider allows me plenty of storage
within my plan.

> Access by POP or IMAP with SSL, so secure in transit,  using "getmail" to
> immediately transfer incoming email OFF of Gandi to my own computer. So the
> amount of storage used is essentially zero.

I was also thinking about getmail which is nice piece of software...When
experimenting with notmuch/mu4e, I was using mbsync to deliver to Maildir
spool, but in case with Claws, yeah, I'd need Dovecot for IMAP access.

Occasionally I have to access email via my phone client (K9), so in that case
I'd need to instruct getmail to keep email on the server for some time...it
looks you don't have a need for accessin email via phone?

> I don't have any control over SSL for external email coming in or out of
> Gandi, but I think SSL is very common now.

Correct.

> Beyond that, you need end-to-end encryption to recipients, which isn't really
> an issue for how you send/receive email, but how it's handled in the clients.

That's one point which "secure" providers are trying to solve by deploying e.g.
password for recipient before being able to open the email, but I am not sure
how effective it is considering the habits of average email user...

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Before giving up this present body, if one is able to tolerate
the urges of the material senses and check the force of desire and