[Users] Can't login to my GMail IMAP acct

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 23:15:55 CET 2022

Hey there,

sgeneris at comcast.net wrote:

>I went over the CM Oauth2 FAQ and the Google instructions for
>getting an ID. These are WAY TOO technical and no end-users should
>be exposed to them. Much of the terminology and concepts I don't
>even understand and I cannot decide what to choose.  GMail API
>activation seems different than in the instructions and it's not
>even clear that the API I found is the one that I am supposed
>to activate. The pages you and I see are different.

I agree. I just tried following all those steps the other day and
found them to be incomplete and unclear (and the Claws Mail wiki
instructions were also no longer fully accurate), so I wrote my own
instructions instead. I've attached them to this message as a text
file if you'd like to give them a try. Please don't be daunted by the
number of steps. Each one is short and the whole thing should only
take a few minutes.

Mind you, those steps don't include setting up 2-Step Verification in
Google, which is a requirement now since Google is determined to
verify that you're you. If you don't already have a 2-factor
authentication app on your phone, you can install one (like Duo or
Microsoft Authenticator, etc.) or you can use the oathtool package on
your computer in GNU/Linux. There's a guide for oathtool here if
you'd like to check it out:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/use-oathtool-linux-command-line-for-2-step-verification-2fa/

Last, but not least, I put together step-by-step instructions for how
to set up an App Password for Claws Mail to use with your Gmail
account, which is something you can do instead of using OAuth2 (at
least a couple of us in here are using that method instead). Those
instructions include how to set up and use 2-Step Verification. Let
me know if you'd like a copy of those and I can attach them as a text
file here as well.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.