[Users] More on the current message and folder coloration

Andreas Fink finkandreas at web.de
Tue Jul 19 09:35:37 UTC 2022

On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 02:06:52 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In researching this thing, I found that other GTk apps besides Claws-
> Mail highlight the current reverse the foreground from black to white
> when they apply a dark blue background. This includes Balsa and
> Evolution. Claws-Mail's handling of highlighting in the message list
> and folder list also differs from Claws-Mail's handling of highlighting
> on its menu system, where the foreground turns from black to white in
> the Claws-Mail menu system.
>
> I think that pre 4.1.0, Claws Mail turned the foreground to white in
> order to be visible when the current message had a dark blue
> background. Black foreground on a dark blue background is very hard to
> read, whereas white foreground on a dark blue background is easy to
> read.
>
> Is anybody else seeing the current message in the list as black on dark
> blue? Is there a Claws Mail setting to reverse the foreground when
> highlighted? Please remember, in this experiment I'm using the same GTk
> theme for Claws-Mail, Balsa and Evolution. Is this black on dark blue
> intentional?
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT

I think I see the same as you. I have attached a screenshot where in
the message list I have a nice and readable background-foreground
combination. While in the folder view I have a dark blue background
with black color, almost unreadable.
Once the folder has 0 unread messages the background-foreground
combination in the folder view is the same as in the message list. I
tried to play a bit with CSS but I was never able to change the
background/foreground in the folder view when there are unread messages.

Cheers
Andreas