[Users] Migrating account authentication from basic POP to OAuth2

Paul Rolland rol at witbe.net
Mon Dec 19 17:22:38 UTC 2022

Hello David,

Thanks for the reply.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 17:56:46 +0000
"David Fletcher" <David at megapico.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Paul - I think that sounds right. You should be OK to switch this
> without setting it up as a new account on Claws.
>
> Almost certainly you'll need to switch your SMTP setting to Oauth2 as
> well if the outgoing mail goes via the MS365 server - you can choose
> that in the Sent tab SMTP Authentication tick box.

Is there a link (Microsoft side) on the autnentication mechanism used for
POP and for SMTP ? At least when activating OAuth2 ?
So far, I have "basic authentication" on POP3 (User/Pass) and LOGIN for
SMTP.

> Then select your Oauth2 email service provider on the Oauth2 tab and do
> the authentication using the clientID it sounds like you've already
> begun setting up.

I've set up the M365 part according to Claws'FAQ, so I can go in the Azure
setup and get the ClientID and all the parameters that are needed when
configuring OAuth2 in Claws, but nothing's done in Claws yet.

My previous attempts were unsuccessful, but since, several patches have
been published, so I hope this time I'll be more lucky ;)

Best,