[Users] More on the current message and folder coloration -- SOLVED

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 15:11:00 UTC 2022

Hey there,

mi wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:

>> and did a bit of research to get some standard GTK selectors to
>> add to them

>So which selectors did you add ?

Have fun populating these with your own styles. I'd start by giving
each one a ridiculously bright color so you can see what it does.

*:disabled { /* affects disabled elements */ }

button:active { /* affects buttons during use */ }

button:hover { /* affects buttons when hovering over them */ }

notebook { /* affects Claws Mail right pane (does not affect
alternate colors set by Clawsker) */ }

notebook tab { /* affects tabs */ }

The *:disabled rule is especially entertaining. I set that to a
background-color of inherit and a color of grey and it's interesting
to watch it dim the various options as I navigate around in Claws
Mail doing my usual thing.

>> Claws-specific selectors. Is there a list of all of those
>> somewhere?

>I believe that most users would want to change themes 'globally' and
>not just for claws. So the way to go is to find non-claws specific
>selectors which still work in claws.

Yeah. Even those are hard to find. I poked around on gnome.org
yesterday and got the new ones above, but have yet to find a complete
list anywhere.

>I think our best option here is to use the GTK inspector. Thx to
>Paul, again - this really made the difference.

I suppose I'll have to do that. For me, that means creating a VM,
putting a GTK environment into it, installing Claws Mail in it, and
then running that inspector on it. I'll get to it, but it's easy to
put off for the moment in favor of other things.

>I've mentioned the inspectors 'Ressources' section and there are css
>files like 'gtk-contained'.

I'll have a look at both of those.

>Click on these entries and the css will open. Now you can copy
>intersting selectors and insert them into the 'on-the-fly' custom
>css in inspectors 'CSS' section. It will be implemented as you type.
>Use the || pause button to switch to 'normal'.

Good to know. Thanks. I'll play with all of this once I've made that
VM.

>(I just tried hotpink but alas, no avail ... should we file a
>feature reqauest ?)

No need. Try magenta instead. My preferred way of getting that color
is with #FF00FF (that's F F zero zero F F), though. I pretty much
#FF00FF everything and am happily enjoying a #FF00FFed Claws Mail at
the moment.

>It's a bit tedious but i don't know of any better way.

No worries. You've made a world of difference already in how it looks
and feels to be in Claws Mail and managed to fix an annoying bug while
you were at it. Everything you touch is currently gold.

>I am not really familiar with CSS so my findings may be lacking. But
>by looking into gtk-conatined.css it seems the correct way to
>address message view (rather than textview*) could be:
>
>/* claws message view and  message-writing editor: */
>textview text {
>	    color:#404040;
>	    background-color:#eeeaf0;
>}

I see no difference between using just plain textview or using
textview text. They both style the message. Do you see any difference
between them?

>/*
> This does the same, overriding textview:
>  .view text {
>  	    color:#404040;
>	    background-color:#eeeaf0;
>}
>*/

Yeah, I noticed that, too.  The .view class by itself also does the
same thing. These must be for some edge-case software that uses one
or the other of them. Claws Mail responds the same way to all of them.

>When a css becomes more complex you would want to define variables
>for colors. SteveT already had demonstrated in a previous post how
>to do this:

Yep. I might do that. I'm not really a fan of it, though, because it
makes you have to pop around in your file to go check your
definitions and find out what color something is set to. My text
editor allows me to select a color and click a button to bring up
that color in a color-picker so I can see exactly what it looks like
and make changes to it if I like. I just tried it on those selectors
and it doesn't "read" them.

There are still several spots where the (in my opinion) ugly generic
GTK colors are being used in my copy of Claws Mail, so I'll be
hunting down their selectors. Once I set up that VM and use the GTK
inspector program to figure out Claws Mail's CSS, if I end up with a
full list of all the selectors and what they affect, I'll post in this
thread.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.