[Users] More on the current message and folder coloration -- SOLVED

mi codejodler at gmx.ch
Fri Aug 12 11:43:25 UTC 2022

Little Girl,

> and did a bit of research to get some standard GTK selectors to add to them

So which selectors did you add ?

> Claws-specific selectors. Is there a list of all of those somewhere?

I believe that most users would want to change themes 'globally' and not just for claws. So the way to go is to find non-claws specific selectors which still work in claws.

I think our best option here is to use the GTK inspector. Thx to Paul, again - this really made the difference.

I've mentioned the inspectors 'Ressources' section and there are css files like 'gtk-contained'.

Click on these entries and the css will open. Now you can copy intersting selectors and insert them into the 'on-the-fly' custom css in inspectors 'CSS' section. It will be implemented as you type. Use the || pause button to switch to 'normal'. For testing, you may use simple color codes like 'blue' or 'green', css does understand these.
(I just tried hotpink but alas, no avail ... should we file a feature reqauest ?)
It's a bit tedious but i don't know of any better way.

---

I am not really familiar with CSS so my findings may be lacking. But by looking into gtk-conatined.css it seems the correct way to address message view (rather than textview*) could be:

/* claws message view and  message-writing editor: */
textview text {
	    color:#404040;
	    background-color:#eeeaf0;
}

/*
 This does the same, overriding textview:
  .view text {
  	    color:#404040;
	    background-color:#eeeaf0;
}
*/

When a css becomes more complex you would want to define variables for colors. SteveT already had demonstrated in a previous post how to do this:

/* Colors */

/* We can define color variables like this:

	@define-color selected_bg_color #f9f06b;

then insert them in standard css like:

	background-color: @selected_bg_color;

*/