[Users] Protonmail and Claws

Richard lists-claws at listmail.innovate.net
Tue Apr 12 23:59:50 UTC 2022

> Date: Tuesday, April 12, 2022 16:22:19 -0700
> From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura at gmail.com>
>

> I have been doing this with Gmail but as of this month Google will
> stop users from allowing "less secure apps"
> to have access to their Gmail accounts. I just opened a Protonmail
> account which will download my Gmail email
> and am hoping I can use Claws with it as I have with Gmail. Maybe
> it offers a way to use external mail readers such as Claws and
> Thunderbird.

Claws, or most any other IMAP client, should continue to work with
gmail past the end of May.

With Claws (and some other mail clients) you can use OAuth2
authentication. For Claws details see the faq. There has also been a
fair bit of how-to discussion about Claws-OAuth2 on this list over
the past month.

With Claws and other IMAP clients, you should be able to use
app-passwords - rather than your google login password - to continue
to access gmail.

OAuth2 is the direction google is moving, but for now at least, they
appear to be continuing to allow/support app-passwords.