[Users] Protonmail and Claws

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 02:26:56 UTC 2022

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 5:00 PM Richard <lists-claws at listmail.innovate.net>
wrote:

> > Date: Tuesday, April 12, 2022 16:22:19 -0700
> > From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura at gmail.com>
> >

> > I have been doing this with Gmail but as of this month Google will
> > stop users from allowing "less secure apps"
> > to have access to their Gmail accounts. I just opened a Protonmail
> > account which will download my Gmail email
> > and am hoping I can use Claws with it as I have with Gmail. Maybe
> > it offers a way to use external mail readers such as Claws and
> > Thunderbird.
>
> Claws, or most any other IMAP client, should continue to work with
> gmail past the end of May.
>
> With Claws (and some other mail clients) you can use OAuth2
> authentication. For Claws details see the faq. There has also been a
> fair bit of how-to discussion about Claws-OAuth2 on this list over
> the past month.

Thanks for letting me know about that. I will look into getting that set up.
Maybe a good idea as Google might eliminate app-passwords with two step
login authentication in the future.

> With Claws and other IMAP clients, you should be able to use
> app-passwords - rather than your google login password - to continue
> to access gmail.
>
> Thanks. I did find a lot of info from Google about getting that set up.
Lots of steps and setups.

OAuth2 is the direction google is moving, but for now at least, they
> appear to be continuing to allow/support app-passwords.
>
> That would probably be the best choice for the long haul and save wasting
time with a method they may discontinue in the future
as they have done with yes for insecure apps.

I have to say I am glad I found Protonmail. It's another of those
outstanding world class services.

Thanks again.

Lawrence

Lawrence F. London, Jr.