[Users] Protonmail and Claws

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 02:18:25 UTC 2022

wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 16:22:19 -0700,
> Lawrence London<lfljvenaura at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >How do I set up Claws to access my Protonmail account and download my
> >email to my computer?
> >I run Claws from an external hard drive using a command in Windows 10
> >"run".
> >
> >I have been doing this with Gmail but as of this month Google will stop
> >users from allowing "less secure apps"
> >to have access to their Gmail accounts. I just opened a Protonmail
> >account which will download my Gmail email
> >and am hoping I can use Claws with it as I have with Gmail. Maybe it
> >offers a way to use external mail readers such as Claws and
> >Thunderbird.
> >

> There should be good instructions on the protonmail webpage - Look in
> the account settings and search for IMAP/SMTP in the left column.
> However, it does require you to have some of the paid plan of
> protonmail to be able to this, the free version doesn't support it.
>
> (I do have a free account, and there it says "Upgrade to a paid plan to
> unlock IMAP/SMTP support through ProtonMail Bridge."

Thanks. That is right on the money and just what I need. Now I need to look
through Claws to see how to use IMAP to connect with Bridge. I plan to go
for the 5 euro/month account.
This is the future of email for me, Claws (if I can get it to work), Bridge
and Protonmail. I use Windows 10. The alternative is Thunderbird. I prefer
Claws though as I can run it on an external hard drive
which means I can easily back it up. Actuall I did figure out a way to run
TBird on an external drive but I still like Claws better.
Thanks again for your help.
Lawrence in Chapel Hill NC USA

> -- Andreas Rönnquist
> mailinglists at gusnan.se