[Users] How badly have I screwed myself?

Paul paul at claws-mail.org
Wed Apr 6 17:09:46 UTC 2022

On Wed, 06 Apr 2022 16:08:13 +0000
"Pierre Fortin" <pf at pfortin.com> wrote:

> Next:
>  mv Mail Mail.pfortin
>  cm --alternate-config-dir .claws-mail.pfortin
> gives lots of "not found"
>
> Now, it appears my Mail is gone.  Found it at ~/tmp/maildirs/Mail
> Moved it back to ~
> Tried again and folder list showing lots of folders with 0 messages.
> Some folders showed a count; but switching to them zeros the count.

After you did `mv Mail Mail.pfortin` and found it within ~/tmp/ rather than
where expected, that is nothing to do with Claws Mail, obviously, and some
problem with your system.

A better way do what you tried (maybe the best way) is to

	cp -pr Mail Mail.pfortin

Then in Claws Mail use /File/Add Mailbox/MH..., adding the new location,
Mail.pfortin.

Once you are satisfied that the new mailbox has copied successfully you can
remove the old mailbox, and even remove the directory from your file system.

BTW, the -p in the cp command above is important for Claws Mail to keep
functioning like you expect.

with regards

Paul