[Users] How badly have I screwed myself?

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Wed Apr 6 17:43:01 UTC 2022

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 17:09:46 -0000 Paul wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Apr 2022 16:08:13 +0000
>"Pierre Fortin" <pf at pfortin.com> wrote:
>
>> Next:
>>  mv Mail Mail.pfortin
>>  cm --alternate-config-dir .claws-mail.pfortin
>> gives lots of "not found"
>>
>> Now, it appears my Mail is gone.  Found it at ~/tmp/maildirs/Mail
>> Moved it back to ~
>> Tried again and folder list showing lots of folders with 0 messages.
>> Some folders showed a count; but switching to them zeros the count.
>
>After you did `mv Mail Mail.pfortin` and found it within ~/tmp/ rather than
>where expected, that is nothing to do with Claws Mail, obviously, and some
>problem with your system.

The mv worked as expected...  I started CM with folderlist.xml still
pointing to Mail.  ~/tmp/maildirs is not a path I've ever used.

grep'ing claws source, /usr/bin/* ~/bin/* /usr/local/bin/* /usr/sbin/*
alias and history for "maildirs" returns nothing; so this is a mystery.
history shows only:  mv tmp/maildirs/Mail .
Dunno where else to look...

>A better way do what you tried (maybe the best way) is to
>
>	cp -pr Mail Mail.pfortin
>
>Then in Claws Mail use /File/Add Mailbox/MH..., adding the new location,
>Mail.pfortin.
>
>Once you are satisfied that the new mailbox has copied successfully you can
>remove the old mailbox, and even remove the directory from your file system.

That's the long way; where's the fun in that?  :)

Gave me a good rush...  LOL

>BTW, the -p in the cp command above is important for Claws Mail to keep
>functioning like you expect.

cp -a  too.

Thanks!