[Users] secure email providers

Jerry Seibert jerry at seibercom.net
Fri Apr 1 20:34:22 UTC 2022

On Fri, 01 Apr 2022 08:12:33 -0700, lists stated:

>Wouldn't S/MIME make more sense than PGP? Apple supports it.
>
>I run my own server using Postfix and Dovecot. I would need a guide
>for bone heads on how to set up S/MIME. Certificates are very
>complicated...well for me.

A couple of years ago, I had a debate with a few of my friends who use,
to varying degrees, PGP or some derivative of it with their email.

We pretty much agreed with the following:

1. 95% +/- of all personal mail does not require encryption.
2. The degree of use by corporations directly correlates to the
company's policies on sending confidential information.
3. PGP is much harder to configure and maintain than it needs to be.

We all agreed that for PGP to become the norm, Microsoft would have to
adopt it. They would then create an easy-to-use GUI to create and
maintain signatures and embed the application into MS Outlook and every
other app they feel they can leverage it against. We also agreed that
Microsoft has no incentive to do that. I believe the trick would be to
incentivize them.

--
Jerry