[Users] secure email providers

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 23:42:32 UTC 2022

PGP is nice to sign checksums and geeks can use it to sign and or
encrypt emails, too.

When writing emails was ok for most users, it was not ok even to spend
30 seconds to listen how easy PGP is to use, if somebody is willing to
set it up on their machine in a not perfect, but comfortable to use way.

"Not perfect (not perfectly secure), but comfortable to use" means that
they can continue using the mailer as they are used to, because the
private key is stored on the computer, not on a special external device.
The email client does automatically send encrypted emails in reply to
encrypted mails, but does store unencrypted copies of the emails.

In my experiences there was absolutely no chance to convince anybody.
When I started to explain, they were unwilling to listen. It's way to
technically and all the times they experience something so-called "easy"
as way to complicated and breaking things.

Nowadays, most people are even unwilling to send emails at all. They
are in favour of WhatsApp. Since I'm unwilling to use WhatsApp I'm
missing a lot, even rotas and other important things that by data
protection law are not allowed to be shared this way. Nobody cares! I'm
lucky if somebody does accept that I'm not willing to use WhatsApp and
if this person is willing to send an email from time to time. I
wouldn't dream of asking to use plain text, bottom post, trim etc., let
alone to use PGP.

Email is close to death. PGP never was alive.