[Users] Question on Windows version portability

Jonathan Boeing jonathan at claws-mail.org
Wed Sep 15 03:28:09 CEST 2021

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:43:57 +0000
Marco Bresciani <marco.530 at outlook.it> wrote:

> Hi all,
>   after a bunch of years, I'm thinking about moving from the good old
> Sylpheed to Claws Mail.
>
> I was wondering if the tool is somehow portable, on Windows, meaning
> that I would like to run it on different Windows PCs from a USB key
> without any installation or data leftover on the PC I'm using.
>
> I saw there's an installation package but I've read here and there
> (old, actually) information about the fact that Claws Mail is
> creating its own folders in places like %APPDATA% and the like.
>
> Is there a way to have Claws Mail really portable?
>   With Sylpheed is as simple as unzipping it and changing a line in
> its .ini file.

The Windows build is portable.  You can extract the installer to a
folder and run from there.

Use the --alternate-config-dir option to set the location of the config
directory.  It accepts relative paths, so you can specify it without a
drive letter to keep it on your USB stick.

It will still leave a logfile at %APPDATA%\Local\Temp\claws-win32.log,
though.

Regards,

Jonathan