[Users] Fancy plugin / HTML

Peter Richards peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 7 04:45:04 CET 2021

Hi Ralf,

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 04:59:51 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <kde.lists at yahoo.com> wrote:

> an explanation is moot, since your Ubuntu release does provide
> webkit2, the new webkit for GTK3, but Claws of your Ubuntu release is
> the GTK2 branch. The Ubuntu release you are using does not offer the
> needed webkitgtk2 dependency to build "fancy" for the Claws GTK2
> branch.
>
> You need to compile Claws GTK3 with the fancy plugin.

Oh I see. Thanks for letting me know. I see at
https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/mail/claws-mail , the very latest
Ubuntu only has a "3.17.8-1build2", so there is no official version
4/Gtk3 Claws Mail for Ubuntu.

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 13:08:27 +1100, Peter Richards wrote:
> >Hi Ralf,
> >
> >Just a quick one on libwebkit . It seems I have it installed  ..
> >
> >--------
> >$ locate libwebkit
> >/snap/gnome-3-28-1804/145/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37
> >
> [snip]
> >/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37
> >/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37.53.5
> >/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/webkit2gtk-4.0/injected-bundle/libwebkit2gtkinjectedbundle.so
> >
> [snip]
>
> Yes, the runtime dependencies are installed, but you need to install
> the headers to build "fancy".
>
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal-updates/amd64/libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev/filelist

Okay thanks.

> Ubuntu does provide the headers usually by packages that are named
> "...-dev" (sometimes it's another suffix) and that are usually (not
> always) available by the official "default" repositories, which is the
> case for libwebkit2gtk.
>
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal-updates/libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev
>
> Again, this build and runtime dependency is required for the GTK3
> branch of Claws, it is not used by the Claws GTK2 branch that is
> provided by Ubuntu's repositories.

Hmm, okay thanks for explaining that. It will be no easy task to get
the fancy plugin compiled. I see under Synaptic for Claws-Mail, there
is a mailing list at ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com , so if I
was to embark upon compilng Claws Mail vers 4 for Ubuntu, best I ask in
that list ?.  Or just have a seperate PPA ?

 I'm not 'game' to do that on the laptop, I use it for many tasks and
 don't want to be without it, so if it is do-able, I'll use that old HP
 laptop. I think it was i5 processor, not much power, but that would be
 all it is doing.

Thanks for all your help everyone.   :)

Namaste,

Peter