[Users] Issue building CM w. gtk3. not SOLVED, just CIRCUMVENTED.

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sun Mar 21 11:48:14 CET 2021

On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 20:20:53 +0100, Erik P. Olsen wrote:

> First: I can build CM with gtk2 correctly without libfilelock-devel.
> Now: Building CM with gtk3 requires libfilelock-devel on my system. The build fails if
> this file is not present. It may be due to some unknown condition which I am unable to
> locate.

Typically you would quote the "configure" script output OR when tell what
error you get at any other point during the build process.

No such details have been posted in this thread so far.

I use a modified claws-mail.spec file to build Claws Mail 3.99.0, and
it doesn't need liblockfile-devel as a build requirement, because it is
only a libetpan build that requires that package.

In general, most *-devel packages are only needed for building software.
Only in corner-cases, the *.so symlinks in those packages may be needed
at runtime. Such as to dlopen() an unversioned library at runtime. However,
within the Fedora Project it is recommended to patch such software, so it
dlopens versioned library files instead.