[Users] Running Different Versions of Claws

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 15:21:36 CET 2021

I am trying to learn how to run different versions of Claws that each
access the same configuration directory. Here are some things I think I
know:

* 1. Depending on what versions are involved, there could be
  configuration file version conflicts, but this is relatively rare,
  and documented on the website.

* 2. It's possible to choose to install the Claws program / executable
  files to a non-default area / location by passing the --prefix=[PATH]
  option to the configure script.

* 3. When the 'claws-mail' command is invoked to start Claws, my system
  (Linux Mint 20 XFCE) searches through a default (and/or
  user-modified) list of defined paths to find an executable with that
  name and then run it.

What I am not sure of is the best way to handle invoking the command(s)
to start Claws when there is more than one version and more than one
install location. Some related comments/questions:

* 1. I read on the website that the default prefix used for a tarball
  release install (i.e. what I currently have) is /usr/local , and I've
  confirmed that there is a 'claws-mail' executable file in
  /usr/local/bin .

* 2. Assuming I install a different version of Claws to a different
  location, am I right in thinking that perhaps the easiest way to
  run that executable would be with something like
  '/my/alt/path/claws-mail'?

* 3. If the answer to #2 directly above is yes, then would it be
  reasonable to assume that invoking the command 'claws-mail' would
  only start the original version of Claws that was stored at the
  default location? Or would it be best to use
  '/usr/local/bin/claws-mail' in case the system would be searching
  broadly enough that it would find both claws-mail executables and run
  the wrong one, or simply abort because of the ambiguity?

* 4. Lastly in regards to choosing an alternative location for the
  installation of a different version of Claws (or other programs), are
  there any 'best-practice' or 'personal-preference' ideas / tips that
  anyone has found useful?

Thanks,
Dustin