[Users] Claws-mail and "Exchange online".

Ivan Krylov krylov.r00t at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 09:17:05 CET 2021

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 20:50:18 +1300
Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> I would really like to continue using claws-mail.

Could the U. of A. people let you use an "app password"?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/user-help/multi-factor-authentication-end-user-app-passwords

(The link seems to be for a different service, which shouldn't matter
because it's all tied to a single Microsoft account.)

This way "classical" mail applications may authenticate without
requiring a browser to work.

> I have no idea what "Exchange Online" actually is, nor why the U. of
> A. is "migrating" to it.

Perhaps U. of A. had an on-premises mail server with Exchange installed
and, given recent Exchange hacks all over the world, decided to move
all mail to Microsoft servers ("Exchange Online"), which weren't being
hacked in this particular incident.

--
Best regards,
Ivan