[Users] Dark theme for Windows

Jonathan Boeing jonathan at claws-mail.org
Wed Jul 28 03:16:02 CEST 2021

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 18:35:00 -0500
Earl Hood <earlhood.eps at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to set up Claws Mail 3.18.0 on a Windows 10 system.
> I am having difficulty getting claws to use any gtk theme.
>
> I have placed GTK themes under the following location:
>
>   %USERPROFILE%\.themes
>
> I created the following file:
>
>   %USERPROFILE%\.gtkrc-2.0
>
> And added the entry:
>
>   gtk-theme-name="<theme-name-here>"
>
> This setup works for another GTK-based MUA program (Sylpheed),
> but it is not working for Claws.  How can I get Claws to use a
> GTK theme?  I think Claws will be a good alternative then having
> to use Outlook for work email (mainly because I can configure it to
> use gvim to edit emails), but the default theme is too bright.

You can use procmon to trace what Claws is trying to load:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Add a filter for "Process Name" "is" "claws-mail.exe"
Add a filter for "path" "contains" "gtkrc"

Then capture a trace of Claws starting up.  That will show you all the
locations where GTK is looking for the gtkrc file.  The gtkrc that is
in effect will be the one where "Operation" is "CreateFile" and
"Result" is "SUCCESS".  GTK might be loading a different gtkrc than the
one you edited.

If the gtkrc file you edited is the one being loaded, you can change
the path filter to your theme name.  That will show the directories
where GTK is searching for your theme.  Once you know where GTK expects
your theme to be, you can install it there.

Regards,

Jonathan