[Users] IMAP: Offline Deleting or Moving, Then Online Execution?

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 11:06:25 CEST 2021

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 11:01:28 +0200
Milan Obuch <claws-mail-users at dino.sk> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 16:44:59 +0600, Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if the following should be possible with a Claws IMAP
> > account:
> >

> While I have not exact knowledge how it works in Claws Mail, ...
>
> In theory, what you like to do is possible, but no one requested this
> functionality before, thus it is not implemented. Maybe it is easy to
> add, maybe not, basically it means record somehow offline actions and
> replay them on live connect. Plugin? Script? No idea, how much work
> that would be...

DM: Thanks for your reply, Milan. Yes, I'm also not sure how much work
it would be. It's possible that at least some of this work is done; I
say this because when I 'delete' (i.e. move to Trash) or move something
when I'm offline, it will give it a special mark, the tooltip of which
says "To be moved". However, once I'm back online, I can't figure out
how to actually get these 'moves' to execute. I haven't done anything
with 'processing' yet in Claws, but my guess is there may be a way to
set up a process that moves all messages that have been marked as 'to
be moved'. But this approach suffers from the same fatal problem that
when Claws is shut down, all of the 'to be moved' marking gets erased
and forgotten.

DM: I could be wrong, but if this happens to be a feature of IMAP, then
I would definitely consider it a 'con' to the 'pros' of IMAP vs. POP.
In any case, I'll see if anyone else has anything to add. (BTW, I get
these emails in digest form, so it's possible someone else has already
replied and I haven't seen it yet.) Cheers, ---Dustin