[Users] IMAP: Offline Deleting or Moving, Then Online Execution?

Milan Obuch claws-mail-users at dino.sk
Fri Jul 23 11:01:28 CEST 2021

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 16:44:59 +0600, Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com>
wrote:

> CM 3.17.8git62 (oauth2 branch) on a Linux system. (I also use a
> non-default location for the binary installation, config folder, and
> message folders.)
>
> I'm wondering if the following should be possible with a Claws IMAP
> account:
>
> 1. While Claws is offline, I delete or move a message.
>
> 2. While still offline, I close/exit Claws.
>
> 3. I restart Claws.
>
> 4. I take Claws online, and when folders are synced, the action I took
> in #1 is executed.
>
> I've experimented with a few different approaches, but the result I
> get is that the message gets marked (for moving or deletion) in #1,
> but when I get to #3 it is no longer marked, and #4 (as expected)
> does not carry through with my intended action. So I'm assuming that
> the marking that happens is getting 'erased' by the shutdown of Claws.
>
> I've checked the manual, FAQs and preferences to see if I could find
> any clues on this (but didn't), so now I'm posting here to see if any
> of you have any input on this.

Hi,

I see no one replied here, I'll write a note.

While I have not exact knowledge how it works in Claws Mail, with no
special provision, whenever IMAP server connects, it is the primary
source of truth, i. e. when difference is detected, new messages are
downloaded and old, deleted, no longer present on server are deleted
from local cache.

In theory, what you like to do is possible, but no one requested this
functionality before, thus it is not implemented. Maybe it is easy to
add, maybe not, basically it means record somehow offline actions and
replay them on live connect. Plugin? Script? No idea, how much work
that would be...

Regards,
Milan