[Users] Strange behaviour with FROM and TO boxes since upgrading ??

Peter Richards peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 5 22:33:19 CET 2021

Hi Paul,

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 11:39:39 -0000
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 10:03:46 +1100
> Peter Richards <peter777 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Bob. I will download that and try it. I'm using the Phoenity
> > theme for Claws at present, it is really nice, but it exhibits the
> > same 'disappear' problem.
> >
> > I did actually find an application style theme and installed as
> > 'Little Girl' instructed. It was the Gilouche theme as was
> > mentioned in the bugzilla thread. and it even, under preview/test
> > mode, didn't exhibit the problem, yet Claws is not recognising it ??
> >
> > Claws only recognises the Themes installed under Prefences, and I
> > can't find the path where they are installed. I used Synaptic to
> > install the package containing all of them, and then they showed up
> > under Claws. But I can't find a way/method to install one manually.
> >  Anyhoo, the Application style change is in place, so I will reboot
> > and see if it is applied to Claws. It may only need an xserver
> > restart ?
>
> You are conflating (at least) 3 distinct things.
>
> Claws Mail Themes are simply icon sets.

Yes, I only just realised this recently. But why call an icon set a
Theme when it is clearly not a theme. I would respectfully suggest that
Claws be modified to reflect the word "icon set" not Theme as it is now.

> GTK 2 themes only affect GTK 2 applications.
>
> GTK 3 themes only affect GTK 3 applications.
>
> Claws Mail 3.17.8 uses GTK 2.

Yes, as you say Claws Mail uses GTK+ 2.24.32 / GLib 2.64.3 , yet the
behavoiur that I experienced didn't reflect those 'rules' in totality.

When I used the Application Style function and set the theme for GTK2
to the Adwaita theme, Claws still exhibited the problem. It was only
after I also set the Application Style for GTK3 also, that the
problem/bug disappaered in Claws. And yes, I did exit/enter again in
Claws just to make sure.

So, the rule of "GTK 3 themes only affect GTK 3 applications" is not
correct, a GTK3 theme clearly affected a GTK2 application. But of couse
that could be due to all the multitude of layers, KDE, Plasma, themes,
etc,etc.

> Therefore changing the Claws Mail Theme will not have an effect on
> your background/foreground issue. Changing your GTK 3 theme will have
> no effect on Claws Mail 3.17.8.

The first sentence is correct, as the Claws 'themes' are icon sets. The
second sentence, I have proved, was not my experience.

> It is the GTK 2 theme that will be the root of the problem and the
> route to the solution.
>
> However, on top of this your version of KDE might also be interfering
> in the GTK 2 theme problem.

Given that I have never had to touch any theme, colors, fonts, video
drivers in Kubuntu/KDE, (everything worked out of the box), I feel it
is safe to assume at this stage, that it is most that KDE has a big
part to play in this.

Thanks muchly for your help,

Regards,

Peter