[Users] Strange behaviour with FROM and TO boxes since upgrading ??

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Tue Jan 5 12:39:39 CET 2021

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 10:03:46 +1100
Peter Richards <peter777 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Thanks Bob. I will download that and try it. I'm using the Phoenity
> theme for Claws at present, it is really nice, but it exhibits the same
> 'disappear' problem.
>
> I did actually find an application style theme and installed as 'Little
> Girl' instructed. It was the Gilouche theme as was mentioned in the
> bugzilla thread. and it even, under preview/test mode, didn't exhibit
> the problem, yet Claws is not recognising it ??
>
> Claws only recognises the Themes installed under Prefences, and I can't
> find the path where they are installed. I used Synaptic to install the
> package containing all of them, and then they showed up under Claws.
> But I can't find a way/method to install one manually.  Anyhoo, the
> Application style change is in place, so I will reboot and see if it is
> applied to Claws. It may only need an xserver restart ?

You are conflating (at least) 3 distinct things.

Claws Mail Themes are simply icon sets.

GTK 2 themes only affect GTK 2 applications.

GTK 3 themes only affect GTK 3 applications.

Claws Mail 3.17.8 uses GTK 2.

Therefore changing the Claws Mail Theme will not have an effect on your
background/foreground issue. Changing your GTK 3 theme will have no effect on
Claws Mail 3.17.8.

It is the GTK 2 theme that will be the root of the problem and the
route to the solution.

However, on top of this your version of KDE might also be interfering in the
GTK 2 theme problem.

with regards

Paul