[Users] How claws mail treats and deals with new and unread messages?

Paul paul at claws-mail.org
Fri Dec 24 12:14:29 UTC 2021

On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 20:59:50 -0300
Dedeco Balaco via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> There are 2 situations: the one pointed in the other discussion, which
> involves an yahoo account being active in both CM and TB, at the time;
> the one pointed here, which has an account which is only configured and
> accessed by CM, and i still saw no notification for 2 new messages it
> received, a few days ago.

Are they actually "new" messages, though? The way to verify this in the Claws
Mail UI is to look at the icon in the 'S' column in the message list pane.
Check /Help/Icon Legend to see which particular icon is used to indicate
"new" messages.

> What i know about IMAP is that, opposite from POP, it downloads messages
> from our accounts without removing them from the server, making it
> possible to make multiple accesses, without the risk of losing anything.

On the contrary, with a POP account you can also download messages without
removing them from the server. And arguably there is less risk of losing
anything with a POP account, inasmuch as a remote server can go down at any
moment and you have no control over it, but your are 100% in control of your
local machine.

The pertinent difference here between IMAP and POP is that the status of
messages (e.g. New/Unread/Read) is maintained on the IMAP server and not
locally. This means that when you see a "New" message with one IMAP client it
is no longer "new" in all IMAP clients. IOW, you view a "New" message in TB,
then afterwards when you view the same message in CM it is no longer "new"
because you viewed it in TB, (and vice-versa). I think that maybe this is the
point you are confused over.

with regards

Paul