[Users] How claws mail treats and deals with new and unread messages?

Dedeco Balaco dedeco.balaco at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 26 22:20:19 UTC 2021

> Are they actually "new" messages, though?

Yes. They are messages received from somewhere really far. Given the
time they are registered, i can I was here, with my computer on and
making things in it. I saw no notification. I saw no indication of "new
message" by CM.

> The way to verify this in the Claws
> Mail UI is to look at the icon in the 'S' column in the message list pane.
> Check /Help/Icon Legend to see which particular icon is used to indicate
> "new" messages.

I already know the difference that CM makes with "new" and "unread"
messages. As i said, they were new messages. And this account was not
accessed in any other mail manager, nor the webpage of that account.

> On the contrary, with a POP account you can also download messages without
> removing them from the server.

I knew this, but i did not care to saying it. I prefer to use IMAP. I
made this decision more than 15 years ago, i do not remember exactly why.

> And arguably there is less risk of losing
> anything with a POP account, inasmuch as a remote server can go down at any
> moment and you have no control over it, but your are 100% in control of your
> local machine.

> The pertinent difference here between IMAP and POP is that the status of
> messages (e.g. New/Unread/Read) is maintained on the IMAP server and not
> locally. This means that when you see a "New" message with one IMAP client it
> is no longer "new" in all IMAP clients. IOW, you view a "New" message in TB,
> then afterwards when you view the same message in CM it is no longer "new"
> because you viewed it in TB, (and vice-versa). I think that maybe this is the
> point you are confused over.

What does { see "New" message } means for you? Opening a new message?

Having it pointed, in any place, in any client, as new? I think this is
not what happens with imap.