[Users] The "highlighting" of the current folder/message line.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 2 02:49:10 CEST 2021

On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 08:48:16 -0400
Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Rolf Turner wrote:
>
> >I had never previously heard of GTK themes.  I did some web searching
> >and it seems that to change the GTK theme (in Ubuntu; I am running
> >Ubuntu 20.04 with a Mate 1.24.0 desktop) one needs to install a tool
> >called "gnome-tweak-tool".
>
> That shouldn't be necessary for this particular task and Mate comes
> with the Mate Tweak Tool already installed, or at least it used to.
> That doesn't control themes, though, and you need to be careful what
> you change in there because reversing back out of a change can be a
> bit of a challenge, to say the least. I recommend messing around with
> that in a virtual machine before using it on your actual system so
> that you'll be sure you like what some of the things in there do.
>
> Anyway, back to changing the GTK theme: What you need is the
> Appearance window. You can get to that in a variety of ways:
>
> ====================
>
> If you use the default Mate Menu, you can go through it in either of
> these ways, opening up the sub-menus one after another:
>
> Menu --> System --> Control Center --> Look and Feel --> Appearance
>
> Menu --> Preferences --> Appearance
>
> ====================
>
> If you use the optional Main Menu (my favorite), you can go through
> it in either of these ways, opening up the sub-menus one after
> another:
>
> Main Menu --> System --> Preferences --> Look and Feel --> Appearance
>
> Main Menu --> System --> Control Center --> Look and Feel -->
> Appearance
>
> ====================
>
> If you use the optional Menu Bar, you can go through it in either of
> these ways, opening up the sub-menus one after
> another:
>
> System --> Preferences --> Look and Feel --> Appearance
>
> System --> Control Center --> Look and Feel --> Appearance
>
> ====================

Thank you!!!  That is just what I needed.  *You* know how to explain
things!!!

For what it's worth, I found the "BlueMenta" and the "TraditionalOK"
themes both to provide a satisfactory appearance (to my aesthetic
sense) and to solve the problem of the ultra-dark high-lighting.

I fooled around a bit trying to install the "Flat-Remix-GTK-Yellow"
theme (which was not immediately available) since it was recommended by
Erik Olsen, just to see what it looked like.  However after
considerable struggle I got sweet nowhere (I won't bore you with the
details) and decided not to waste any more time on it.

Thanks again for your help.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

P.S.  The "Mate Tweak Control" is indeed present, but seems to be
completely irrelevant [1].  As you noted, it doesn't control themes.

R.

[1] That grey thing with the big ears. :-)

--
Honorary Research Fellow
Department of Statistics