[Users] Support for 'Exchange ActiveSync' Protocol

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 23:41:59 CEST 2021

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 08:14:40 +0200
Paul Rolland <rol at witbe.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 19:40:10 -0400
> Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am wondering if any/all of the current development team are open
> > to the idea of Claws Mail eventually supporting Microsoft's
> > 'Exchange ActiveSync' (EAS) protocol?
> >
> > If so, I will open an 'enhancement' item in the bug tracker related
> > to that.
>
> What about using DavMail as a gateway ?
> http://davmail.sourceforge.net/

DM: Thanks for your reply, Rol. In the limited research I've done on
DavMail thus far, it seemed like there was at least some chance that it
would not do what I wanted it to do. Here are the two questions I have
about it:

* 1. Is this project under active development?
* 2. Is anyone able to confirm from personal experience that this tool
  provides support for using the EAS protocol? (From what I've been
  able to tell, this protocol is different from EWS [Exchange Web
  Services?], and is also different from using POP or IMAP [with or
  without oauth2 support] to access an email account on an MS Exchange
  server.)

DM: I'm a bit fuzzy on the various protocols / services that Microsoft
provides and supports, along with their various transition plans, etc.,
and the other variable is that their clients (eg. my employer) have
flexibility in what they choose to enable and disable. So it's possible
my questions and comments won't make sense to someone who is clearer on
these things.

> I agree that having to setup an extra app is not as comfortable as
> having everything inside a single app, but that seems to be an
> already available way to go...
>
> Regarding Claws, I'd like too to have it support native M365 access,
> but Claws is developped by volunteers working on the project during
> their free time, and they may have different priorities.

DM: Understood. My goal is to try to confirm that this isn't something
that is a 'non-starter', similar to someone's desire to have Claws
support creating HTML emails. :) Put another way, if some random person
presented a patch that would add EAS protocol support to Claws, had
beautiful and 100% accurate and problem-free coding, and didn't
conflict with any of the other code, etc., would the development team
consider implementing it into Claws? Cheers, ---Dustin