[Users] Claws Mail with LXDE and LXQt desktops

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Mon Sep 28 21:56:46 CEST 2020

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 17:18:04 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:

> > > Well, the OP is not to know that, so it's a reasonable thing for an
> > > end-user to do. He did nothing wrong IMHO. I expect fedora have
> > > people to triage the bug and reassign it to a more appropriate
> > > group once they or somebody else have confirmed the problem.
> >
> > During discussion here and in the related ticket it has been
> > mentioned that Claws Mail doesn't crash in some of the test
> > environments, so it doesn't seem to be a bug in Claws Mail and not in
> > Fedora's Claws Mail package either.
>
> Without a lot more information I don't think it's possible to tell.

What information do you need?

> It
> seems clear that some code path is being exercised within claws or the
> libraries it uses, but only on some environments on one distribution.
> But until somebody actually determines exactly what that code path is,
> nobody knows where the fault or faults are.

It may be more than one distribution.

> > Assuming it is a bug in a window manager or another component used
> > by Fedora, a ticket about that component ought to be opened.
>
> The point is he's already opened a bug, before this.

Nothing in the tickets in Claws Mail bugzilla and in the mails on this
mailing-list suggests that the issue would be specific to Fedora or
Fedora's Claws Mail packages.

> > Preferably by the user, who is affected by the problem and will be
> > available to answer any questions which may come up. Questions about
> > hardware and software configuration, for instance. Questions that
> > cannot be answered by a Fedora packager of Claws Mail.
>
> He has opened a bug and is available to answer questions.

Serving as a proxy between a bug reporter and several bug trackers
doesn't scale well.

> If it's been
> assigned to claws and that's wrong, then it's up to fedora's claws
> maintainer to reassign it to wherever he thinks it belongs.

Where would that be? Fedora's Claws Mail packagers may forward triaged
Claws Mail bugs to Claws Mail bugzilla, but XFCE/Mate/LXDE/LXQT desktop
intricacies are beyond the scope of that. Just like contact to the
developers and access to the bug trackers of those desktop environments
is. Bug reporter has found out a test-case and ought to get in touch
with maintainers of the affected desktop systems.