[Users] Claws Mail with LXDE and LXQt desktops

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Mon Sep 28 18:18:04 CEST 2020

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 14:31:51 +0200
Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael at gmx.net> wrote:

> > > Fedora's RPM package has not customized Claws Mail in any way that
> > > would be the cause of this, so reporting this to the Fedora
> > > Project Claws Mail package would be the wrong place.
> >
> > Well, the OP is not to know that, so it's a reasonable thing for an
> > end-user to do. He did nothing wrong IMHO. I expect fedora have
> > people to triage the bug and reassign it to a more appropriate
> > group once they or somebody else have confirmed the problem.
>
> During discussion here and in the related ticket it has been
> mentioned that Claws Mail doesn't crash in some of the test
> environments, so it doesn't seem to be a bug in Claws Mail and not in
> Fedora's Claws Mail package either.

Without a lot more information I don't think it's possible to tell. It
seems clear that some code path is being exercised within claws or the
libraries it uses, but only on some environments on one distribution.
But until somebody actually determines exactly what that code path is,
nobody knows where the fault or faults are.

> Assuming it is a bug in a window manager or another component used
> by Fedora, a ticket about that component ought to be opened.

The point is he's already opened a bug, before this.

> Preferably by the user, who is affected by the problem and will be
> available to answer any questions which may come up. Questions about
> hardware and software configuration, for instance. Questions that
> cannot be answered by a Fedora packager of Claws Mail.

He has opened a bug and is available to answer questions. If it's been
assigned to claws and that's wrong, then it's up to fedora's claws
maintainer to reassign it to wherever he thinks it belongs.