[Users] Claws Mail with LXDE and LXQt desktops

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Tue Sep 29 02:52:40 CEST 2020

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 21:56:46 +0200
Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael at gmx.net> wrote:

> > > During discussion here and in the related ticket it has been
> > > mentioned that Claws Mail doesn't crash in some of the test
> > > environments, so it doesn't seem to be a bug in Claws Mail and
> > > not in Fedora's Claws Mail package either.
> >
> > Without a lot more information I don't think it's possible to
> > tell.
>
> What information do you need?

I answered that in the text just below. (emphasis now added)

> > It
> > seems clear that some code path is being exercised within claws or
> > the libraries it uses, but only on some environments on one
> > distribution. But *until somebody actually determines exactly what
> > that code path is*, nobody knows where the fault or faults are.
>
> It may be more than one distribution.

Indeed, but we only know of one at present, and nobody else has come
forward to say they are experiencing these problems elsewhere.

> > > Assuming it is a bug in a window manager or another component used
> > > by Fedora, a ticket about that component ought to be opened.
> >
> > The point is he's already opened a bug, before this.
>
> Nothing in the tickets in Claws Mail bugzilla and in the mails on this
> mailing-list suggests that the issue would be specific to Fedora or
> Fedora's Claws Mail packages.

That may be obvious to your trained eye, but not necessarily to
everybody.

But in the case of distro-supplied packages, it is usual to report
possible bugs to the distro in the first instance, and it is up to the
distro to receive such reports, confirm and triage them, assign them to
the correct support area (e.g. package maintainer), and resolve the
problem locally or escalate to an appropriate upstream. Note that I
have no knowledge of fedora specifically.

> > > Preferably by the user, who is affected by the problem and will be
> > > available to answer any questions which may come up. Questions
> > > about hardware and software configuration, for instance.
> > > Questions that cannot be answered by a Fedora packager of Claws
> > > Mail.
> >
> > He has opened a bug and is available to answer questions.
>
> Serving as a proxy between a bug reporter and several bug trackers
> doesn't scale well.

Sorry I don't understand what you're saying here.

> > If it's been
> > assigned to claws and that's wrong, then it's up to fedora's claws
> > maintainer to reassign it to wherever he thinks it belongs.
>
> Where would that be? Fedora's Claws Mail packagers may forward triaged
> Claws Mail bugs to Claws Mail bugzilla, but XFCE/Mate/LXDE/LXQT
> desktop intricacies are beyond the scope of that. Just like contact
> to the developers and access to the bug trackers of those desktop
> environments is. Bug reporter has found out a test-case and ought to
> get in touch with maintainers of the affected desktop systems.

I would expect that Fedora's Claws Mail packagers would determine where
the problem lay and reassign the bug to the appropriate Fedora package.
The Fedora packagers should contact upstream if necessary by default,
not the OP, since they are better placed to explain where the problem
has been located and to integrate and test the fix.