[Users] Claws freezing when composing e-mail replies

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Wed Sep 16 15:34:02 CEST 2020

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 08:54:42 -0400
<edwardp at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 12:58:28 +0100
> Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I've been using Unix before it since the 1970s and if anything I
> > find there is more and more to learn each day :) :(
>
> Understood completely. :)
>
> I unfortunately failed to mention that I was using the LXDE desktop
> environment when Claws was freezing. I can't say with any certainty
> whether or not a specific desktop could cause issues with any
> application. I'm sure anything is possible, but my reason for using
> LXDE is because my desktops aren't exactly brand new and LXDE is
> lightweight. I have switched the desktop to MATE.

I use LXDE and haven't had problems with it. I've had the occasional
freeze problem with claws and clicking on the X widget has always
killed it eventually. Sometimes the entire system seems to lock up for
a few minutes, but that's more related to Firefox usage I think, and is
caused by recent kernels' behaviour with limited memory I suspect.